Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Thesis Tough Lovin'

My thesis adviser and I had a short conversation regarding my topic yesterday. I was having a little bit of difficulty with regard to phrasing my problem statement and it's almost mid-February--defense season is more or less just a month away. As I write this, I officially turned on the switch for Panic Serious Thesis Mode.

Before going any further, I would like to make my thesis topic clear; because in the next weeks it's all that I would be talking about. My undergraduate thesis is about In-Game Advertising and what makes it an optimum strategy for a company. My respondents would come from the company that ventured into IGAs instead of those who play the games (because then, it would have a mass communication perspective). Wow, explaining it in this post made itself a lot clearer to me as well. Niiiice.

You can be certain that when I talk about video games, I am doing my thesis.

My advertising professor, sir Chong Ardivilla said that I should look for a respondent company and a suitable framework first. I have decided to contact Level Up! Games but have yet to send them an e-mail because I am not sure of what to ask yet. Gosh, I should be moving fast if I hope to get a favorable response. I have found an academic journal with what I think should be a very useful framework which I will work on as of now.

Do you really want to know why I just turned on the most serious Game Face I ever had in my 16 years of studying and 20 years of existence? Because yesterday, my thesis adviser said:
"Ay oo nga pala, Advertising si Chong. You should get him as a panelist if ever na magde-defend ka next year."
If you didn't react to the last statement, I MOST CERTAINLY DID. It's supposed to be NEXT MONTH and not next year! That's how my thesis adviser encourages us--and boy, isn't he a model of some serious tough loving which is very fatherly indeed (no sarcasm intended). And to tell you the truth, his reverse psychology actually worked on me. Us, actually.

Looking back on my adviser's statement, take note of the words if ever. He used those words because the assumption is I defend next month. And it's not just going to remain as the assumption, IT WILL BE THE CONCLUSION.

So to make this very public and cause me some serious humiliation if I ever eat these words, I am posting this photo that has been sitting on my hard disk drive since November. I do not believe in any jinx or whatever anymore, I just believe in some serious motivation and the grace of God.

MoroƱo, Karen Christine Dela Cruz 2007-30656
BA Organizational Communication Class of 2011
University of the Philippines Manila

I will defend my thesis next month, Graduate on April 15 2011, Get my TOR and Diploma, get a job, take a shot at Law School, be the pride of my parents, and ultimately give back all the highest glory, honor, and praise to the mighty and matchless name of my Lord Jesus Christ. Soli Deo Gloria!

I can make it through anything in The One who makes me who I am.
--Philippians 4:13 (MSG)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

gogogo! hehehe yung video at kanta sa right side ng page mo, kamikazee ba yan? *memories* hahahaha

Karen Christine said...

salamat! oo, "girlfriend" ng kamikazee yun. si xylona dela cruz ka ba kaya may memories? hahaha. hindi ako magaling manghula ng mga anonymous e.