Saturday, December 31, 2011

What is Superb: The Year that Was

I can't believe I am writing a year-ender again. Already. Last year I posted on my other blog that 2010 was the best year I had so far. And I say my wish was fulfilled and 2011 beat 2010--and it's amazing how each year keeps getting better.

But I should say that 2011 is not as kind as 2010 was--I had a good mix of ups and downs this year--and every 'down' leads to skyrocketing 'up' that I will always tell of.

I'll be spontaneous in writing this, so forgive me if they are a little too disorganized.

1. Alter Spaces, Jolly Towns: The Match Between Corporate Identity and Advergaming -- An undergraduate thesis by Karen Christine de la Cruz MoroƱo

Owned It!
Yeah I know, my thesis topic sucks and I am starting to regret it... but the process of writing it was so tedious and bloody, that time I never thought it does. This was the first real-life test I have gone through this year, and I'm so blessed I survived--even after doing my chapters four and five in just one freakin' night, crying in front of a receptionist to let me in on an interview, going through defense twice, not going home and staying all night in coffee/pastry shops and my good friend Angel's unit, not to mention not taking a bath on the day of my defense. Not even a change of clothes. Now you know.

But what matters is I defended it and the words came into my mouth with no effort. I am still amazed when I recollect. Luke 12:11-12 is true.

And your name is written at the end of my thesis acknowledgments. Wish granted.

2. I graduated.

BA Organizational Communication, Class of 2011 at the College of Arts and Sciences Recognition Program
University Graduation. Sa sobrang yaman namin, twice kami gumagraduate. LOL.
Kahit ang mahal ng sablay, OK lang. Kahit mahal yung damit, OK lang din. Kahit na nakasuot ako ng 5-inch heels habang nagmamartsa, ayos lang. Finally I gave something my parents can be proud of. Graduate na ang bunso nila sa UP. Even when they don't say it, I know they are proud. Mabuhay ang pag-asa ng bayan. :)

And no, I don't intend to go abroad.


Right after submitting a 28-page thesis proposal. Boo yah!

4. Spontaneous gala with best friend Maricar, Arvin, Ruth, Lal, Jhe and Chariot (Lal's Mitsubishi Space Wagon).

Dirty resteros = ♥
Making puslit in UST, Proofreading their thesis, Binondo food tripping, Bebe-you're-a-firework watching. These people were a breather during the thesis-writing stage of my life. I miss them a lot, actually. :)

5.  First time to write a song. And winning an award.

'Coz it's here that I found love...
6. Graduated the JIL G12 Encounter God Retreat and now attending the School of Leaders.
I don't have a photo of what we did so lemme just show you how happy my buddy Ruth and I were during the retreat.

7. Became a life group leader.

I may be acting on impulse at times and have fallen short of His glory, but still gave me this opportunity to disciple the youth. I am blessed. All glory to God.


8. MAROOOOOOOOOOOOON 5! *Le Gasp!!!!*

Iniyakan ko rin yung mga security sa SMX kasi ayaw nila ako papasukin dahil may dala akong SLR. And they said: "Bakit ka umiiyak?" to which I answered: "E nagsstart na kaya yung concert, demet!!!!"

So they let me in. Dun pa ko sa Gold tickets section dumaan, saw Adam Levine in flesh, and Chris Tiu afterwards. Life is good. And my tears are so powerful.



Read the blog post for the account. :)

10. The long and tiring road to getting a job.

Two months of clashing uncertainties and fresh grad idealism. No photo of bumhood because I was too busy sleeping.

11. Got a blood donor's card.

Yizzz, on my fourth blood donation!

12. Got a job at Alexander Mann Solutions, Global leaders of recruitment process (and I thought I'd avoid HR as much as I can because it isn't really my forte).

My AMS batchmates. Sadly, three of them aren't with the company anymore. Two out of those three are my team mates, BTW.
Let me tell how I landed this recruitment coordinator job. I originally applied for a copywriter role and reached until the final interview with a British dude but I lack one thing--experience. And then they saw my CV and found out that I was from recruitment during my internship and thought I'd be fit for the job.

Turned out, I was. Will tell more of that later.


13. Getting a job (your first job) can also mean ranting and finding out about yourself.

The past six months were the most challenging. I lost all three of my original team mates (resigned/fired) and I was the only one left standing. Good thing is, I now have new team mates that are twice the fun and energy!

When I say 'twice the energy', I mean it. Look at Abby taking a photo of us while I am sleeping.

That's Kane beside me. Dave is from another team (a good friend as well!)

14. Corporate Sleepover part 2--the real thing.

Worked for 18 freakin' hours (maybe more! I lost count) to take cover of three time zones. Slept in the office. Logged in on a Monday and went home on a Wednesday. Oh the things I never thought I could do.

(photo to follow).

15. Earning new friends.

With Kane, Christian, Ron, Dave, and Ella (my personal bully).

AMS Christmas party with basically the same people (minus Christian and Ron, plus Cole).

Photoboothing at the Christmas Party. With Rowel on the middle photo on the right.

16. Finally letting go of ones that are not actually the 'best'. Maybe not even a friend at all.

I tried hard for this, I held on and tried to reach out but she kept on bringing up the past and fishing for information on my future (that, to some extend, was sabotaged by her too). I just can't bear with it anymore so I had to let her go.

Sometimes, certain things happen for you to see who really are your friends. It's a good thing that 'that thing' for us came early on.

PS. Maricar is still my best friend. :)


"HAAAAAAPPY BIRTHDAY KCEEEEEEEEEE!!!"
'Twas the first time I was surprised at exactly 12MN, my first time with a job, and my first time at the new home. Spontaneous friends are spontaneous, so we had a drinking session at our place in Bulakan.

18. New Batcave

My family finally officially transferred to our new home in Bulakan, Bulacan. And just this month, I also moved out of my previous dormitory in Taft Avenue and am now staying in West of Ayala Condominium in Gil Puyat Avenue, Makati. My office friends tease me a lot about moving in to a royal-sounding and royal-looking condo... but whatever. I'm glad I found somewhere to live in that is only a walking distance to work. :)

19. I lost Zildjianne Pearl. :( But got a Galaxy Ace as a replacement!

I'll be buying a rebound iPod soon enough. But it can never replace you. I miss you, Zildj. :(
but got this as a replacement (temporarily). I love you Mom!
  
20. One of my proudest achievements of the year (aside from graduating): Alexander Mann Solutions' Global Contributor of the Quarter for Global Client Service Centres


Who would have thought that the 6-month contract I signed would end up like this? And who would have thought that a fresh graduate with a lack of professional experience will end up as one of the top performers--globally--in a recognized industy leader? God is simply good.

PS. I am now a regular employee and my contract served as my probationary period (which, one of my friends say bihira daw mangyari). I didn't even pass through the supposedly required revalida. All glory to the most high God!


***There isn't space anymore in the top 20 for you, and I know you don't need to--because you are not just a memory of 2011.

 You will be with me until next year. I still love you next year. And the next. And always know, that what I have made known to you still hold true until today. You are a wonderful person, and I believe in you. I always have.

Thank you for everything: for trusting me, for motivating me, and for making me laugh. This year has been rough and oftentimes awkward, but always know that I am always here. And I always love you, even without saying it.

I hope you will stay in my life next year--I am sure that I will be happy to say that I have known you before the world ends (if ever it is true). ♥

---
Hello God,

Thank you for a wonderful year. This year has been superb and thank you for your grace. 2011 molded me into a stronger person and let me do things I never thought I could, and they are all for Your glory. I could not thank you enough.

Please be with us and hold our hands as we walk through the next year. :)


Your daughter,
KC

No comments: