Monday, May 16, 2011

The Day I Found Love

My poetry is already rusty.

It has been a looooooong time since I did a poem with rhymes. Writing poems in Filipino seems a little too serious and matalinghaga for me, while I find it hard to do rhyming in English. With that, I’ve been stuck with free-verse poems, essays, and love letters since time immemorial.

Alright, so much for the introduction. Hehehe.

The Kristiyanong Kabataan para sa Bayan--Malolos annually holds the Festival of Talents. It is a showcase of God-given dancing, singing, and instrument-playing skills (only with varying mechanics every year). There’s also the much-awaited Mr and Ms KKB, our version of a beauty pageant, but with more modesty and less flesh.

However, this year's FOT (as we fondly call it) gave us a twist—there is also a songwriting competition. And I am telling you this: not because I call myself a writer doesn’t automatically make me a songwriter. I can’t even play the guitar or tell which key a certain song is in (like my friends do with their awesome ears!) But hey, they have faith in me so we took a shot at it.

Our entry is actually the second one I’ve written. I imagine the first one I wrote in an upbeat tune, and the imaginary music stuck in my head actually interferes with what I am writing, like I am trying to make it fit. Since God blessed me in ways other than music, I don’t have much right to actually set the music for it. Because of that, I have written another one while eating salad and some frosty at Wendy’s (yes, I am at my most productive like that).

What happens at Wendy's

The song tells of how blessed I am as a part of my KKB family for the past six years. For so long I have wanted a solid group of friends that I know wouldn’t leave me. And I found them when I committed myself into this ministry. They are the ones that would understand you, advise you, and help you no matter what. And what better way to experience God’s love than in the church, with the people He had chosen to support you?

With that, I have written this short song that started out as my gratitude poem.

Found Love
Words: Karen Christine MoroƱo
Music: Ana Ruth Fajardo, Erick Espiritu
Performed by Erick Espiritu

I have been searching for something
That will fill this empty heart
Some have tried, and they have failed
To share the feeling of God’s love
It was all like so
‘Til he has brought me here

‘Coz it’s here that I found love
Tender support I never thought of
Found more than just friendship
This is more than my ministry
This is home
This is family

Now I know that I am happy
‘Coz I know about his love
And that He has brought me here
For me to testify

The song is just a short one; it barely lasted for three minutes. But hey, Only You and Grow Old with You are also short songs, but they tell a lot. Hehehe. Erick performed this at the FOT, clad in Bruno Mars attire, with the smooth style of Jason Mraz, but the guitar-plucking is all Erick Espiritu. Haha! The song started as something solemn, and then he converted it into bossa. I assure you, the song is so catchy it will be stuck on your head FOR DAYS (at least that's what happened to me).


And by the grace of God, “Found Love” is the first KKB Malolos Song of the Year Awardee. To God be the Glory!
 

PS. Lesson Learned: Never underestimate your songwriting skills, especially when God is the one who asked you to do it!

No comments: