Tuesday, January 22, 2013

A Writer Once Loved

I recently came across a short free verse poem on Tumblr about someone who once dated a writer. Being a writer, or at least that's what I proclaim myself to be, I felt the need to write a response.

And because I am a lonely soul, I have added my sad twist to the story. After all, the poem said "I once dated a writer."

I decided to take on a male's voice because it seems more fitting to me that way.


This writer once loved
but it didn’t work out.

I forgot our anniversary
and she got mad at me.
i do not remember the date,
But i remember the way
she smiled that day
As she instantly held captive
Of my soul.

I forgot to take the trash,
that contains the olives
that she took out from her pizza;
And starch her uniforms
That still smell faintly
Of her favourite perfume.

I may forget to do the laundry
But never the way
She looked in her chiffon dress...
That dances freely
As she lingers in my memory...

Fleeting.
Wanting to be forgotten.

Writers are indeed forgetful.
But we remember the little things
and it's heartbreaking
because rarely
do we get appreciated
for this gift.

No comments: