Monday, November 22, 2010

"Lawyered!"

It has been a week since I exchanged chat messages with a friend whom I haven't spoken to in quite a long time. He said he would take the lawyer's path after graduation. Good thing he didn't ask about my plans because seriously, I have never been more confused with regard to things I'd do next.

I considered entering law school at one point in my life. It was when I was watching Justice, the American TV show that features four lawyers defending clients involved in controversial cases. I love how they deal with the press. Then my brother and I would talk about building a law firm and posting Notary Public outside the door (this thought was brought about us getting tired of having my STFAP application verified by some "lawyer"). I don't really know what happened to the thoughts of law school, whether it was buried under the deep pits of low self-esteem, or thoughts of getting an MA (on some degree I also haven't thought of as I type this) instead, or thoughts of working right away to own a car and other material possessions, or simple loss of love for studying--again.

Today my classmates took the UP Law Aptitude Exam. I can hear my 16-year old self, full of dreams and high hopes speaking: "You should have taken it!"
  
I did not. I am trying to justify the reason that taking the LAE was too expensive. But then again, wasn't the UPCAT fee I paid four years ago expensive as well?

Maybe the words "I am trying to justify the reason..." that I used two sentences ago was indeed a sign that I should have done it.

Well, there are still other good law schools around. Maybe I would take a shot on one of them, just so I can prove myself that I can still take risks. Now thinking of it, the sound of me shouting "Lawyered!" during random conversations with a pretentiously intellectual friend (like what Marshal does to Barney in How I met Your Mother) sounds pretty good. ;)

PS. I'm sorry, this is just me thinking so aloud that I posted it on the web.

2 comments:

Karen Christine said...

Maybe I'll get a job after graduation and save up for law school (or a master's degree. dang, until now I still haven't decided yet). I just felt I have made my mom work too much to put me through college, and that's enough. But one thing's for sure-- I still want to study. ;)

In the words of Aira Deymos, dreams can wait. I'll take the UP LAE next year. I promise.

PS. I'm still open to other possibilities. God is full of surprises. :)

Karen Christine said...

PPS. "PS" is true. If what I'll be doing is God's will for me, this would be my last inconsistent thought.

Because a lawyer must always have a firm decision.