Friday, November 5, 2010

Birthdays give us license to write something pa-deep

I am 20 years and 2 hours old as I type this. Birthday greetings on Facebook flooded my wall as soon as the clock struck 12 (some are even earlier, ehem, Earl) and, boy, I couldn't be more thankful. As I convert gratitude into a comment, I remembered my birthday wish last year...

...and how it still remains as my birthday wish this year.

Sure it breaks my heart to have an unanswered birthday wish, and it sucks not to have someone who purposely waited for the clock to strike 12 and call to greet me a happy birthday. It's somehow sad that with all those greetings coming from friends and family, I am still looking for a simple greeting from the man that will indeed put the "happy" in "happy birthday". It's sad that in the two decades, I haven't experienced being made special--yet.

Don't get me wrong, I very deeply appreciate every text message, every wall post, every "happy birthday" that is directed to me. I just hate myself that I can't be contented with what I have been given. I hope that as this day proceeds (It's 2am and I haven't slept yet), I will learn many things, God's--and experience's-- gift to me.

Friends, family, and ministry that I run out of adjectives describing, material things I wish for, and a Dean's Lister GWA (only now have I realized the Lord's favor in my studies never left me since we prayed for it last year. I was a College Scholar/Dean's Lister 3y2s, and now, I am also a CS given that I will get a passing grade on my thesis subject). Indeed, birthday wishes last year came true, only in other aspects.

If it seems slow in coming, wait. It's on its way. It will come right on time. --Habakkuk 2:3

Happy Birthday, Kicci-yo. Cheer up!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

a dean's lister GWA. i know kayang-kaya mong i-laude yan! we'll work hard on it this sem. keribels! happy birthday!

ps pareho tayo ng feeling pag birthday. pero ako, kahit di birthday, ganun yung feeling. haha not good for me. pero sure ako na pag dumating yun, it will make you the happiest person on earth. enjoy ka lang! we're here for you :)

Karen Christine said...

Hey, Thanks! You posted this comment as anonymous but I know you are one of my closest friends. :) Si Faye ka ba? Heehee :P

Yes, Ganito nga palagi yung feeling pag birthday, nagiging sentimental. Haha! But still, I have a lot to be thankful for. Like you who keeps believing in me (kahit hindi ko pa confirmed kung sino ka, anonymous. heehee) :D

Let's work hard this sem, and enjoy this rollercoaster ride that God put us in! >:D<