Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Comic book Junkie


”And maybe it's an amazing world, full of monsters and Human Torches and all kinds of bizarre stuff... but right here and right now, in this little corner of it... everything's okay." --Peter Parker, Amazing Fantasy #16

This is one of the reasons why I love Spider-Man. He’s witty, He talks a lot, and He’s quotable. And as I looked around at the Toy Convention at Robinson’s Place last Saturday, I saw Comic Odyssey’s booth offering a truckload of comic books. Spider-sense tingled, and I started searching through those boxes for my masked hero.


I’m so happy that it didn’t fail me. I ended up purchasing Amazing Fantasy #16 and #17, two of the three issues that fill in the gap between the Amazing Fantasy Series and The Amazing Spider-Man #1. And lucky me, I got them for only 20 bucks each!


Mi Pelu (my best college friend) and I went back to Comic Odyssey yesterday for some cheap finds. I got Spider-Man’s Tangled Web: Behind the Mustache (mainly an issue about his grumpy boss, Jonah Jameson), Spider-Man: Hobgoblin Lives, Marvel Knights: Spider-Man and Wolverine, and X-Force: Sabotage X-over part 2, guest-starring: Spider-Man. We availed of their 5+1 promo (I should only get two comic book issues but she insisted that I get them all, for fear that we may never see them again) then added Ren and Stimpy’s Choose your own Adventure Special, and The Last Son of Krypton is Back!, the Superman in Action Comics issue that tells about his death and resurrection. I am indeed a happy fan. I’m smiling so wide, it’s a wonder my mask doesn’t split (again, that quote was by my favorite hero in the same issue as the one above.)

Spider-Man is my escape from all my life’s toxicities. Maybe, because I also wish to be like him (not to be saved by him, mind you) that can talk and web-throw his way through anything. Maybe because I also wish I can throw strings of web from my pulse so that I would never have to commute ever again.

No comments: