Friday, February 6, 2009

jitters.

I didn’t sleep much Wednesday night. And the reason could be explained by one word: procrastination.


I had to make note cards and review my report for Organizational Communication 107 on Thursday, the discussion behaviors of American and German Managers. Like any other report, I felt these jitters before doing it. You know, the wild shaking of hands and stammering and butterflies in the stomach and stuff. Because of that, I started a ritual by chanting to myself: Control your nerves before they explode. Control your nerves… Then it was my turn.



But alas, the words just came out of my mouth and straight to my audiences’ ears. I don’t really know my report well so I invented things to say instead. I must establish eye contact for them to believe I know everything I say. But I know they did not understand anything that went out of my lips, because I myself did not understand them. That’s how crazy the report went. Whatever happened to my control-the-nerves ritual, I don’t know.


Then after class my professor came to me and said: “Ms. Moroño, that was a good thing you did, that you did not look at the LCD display. I was so glad you extemporized. Keep it up.” Or something like that. Whoa, being said to “keep it up” after a crazy report? And by the glorious professor Sarile? Must feel great.


Thank You, Lord. The efforts paid off after all. :)

No comments: